Founded in Ann Arbor in 2016, the Ivalas Quartet is composed of violinists Reuben Kebede and Anita Dumar, violist Aimée McAnulty, and cellist Pedro Sánchez. Ivalas has performed with artists such as the Calidore String Quartet, Imani Winds, Danielle Belen, David Ying, and Patricia Terry-Ross. The quartet has also been heard on WRCJ 90.9 FM’s Classical Brunch series and appeared at the inaugural Detroit Music Weekend. Maintaining their commitment to community engagement, Ivalas has also represented the Sphinx Organization playing for students in Flint and the Metro Detroit area. Recently awarded first prize in the 2019 WDAV Young Artists Chamber Music Competition, the quartet also took first prize 2018 Briggs Chamber Music Competition and was named a semifinalist group at both the M-Prize competition and Concert Artists Guild competition in New York
Ivalas’ members are from both the black and latinx communities and the group was formed with the intent to play a part in bringing greater visibility to musicians of color. We feel a strong responsibility to not only play with all of our hearts but to strive for the highest standard of playing in every performance, and to be living proof of the power of diversity in all art forms.
- APAP 2020 Carnegie Hall Showcase – Jan 13th – 6pm. Carnegie Hall. 881 7th Ave, New York, NY.
- Louisville Cultural Council – Jan 25th – 7:30pm. Louisville Center for the Arts. 801 Grant Ave. Louisville, CO.
- Music in the Galleries – Feb 9th – 1pm and 2pm. Clyfford Still Museum. 1250 Bannock St. Denver, CO.
- Pendulum New Music – Feb 19th – 7:30pm. Atlas Blackbox Theatre. 1125 18th St. Boulder, CO.
- Davidson College Concert Series – Mar 29th – 3pm. Tyler-Tallman Recital Hall. 405 N Main St. Davidson, NC.
- 2020 Spring Recital – Apr 23rd – 7:30pm. Grusin Music Hall 1020 18th St. Boulder, CO